Monday, June 16, 2014

Calendula Conundrum

I had planted calendula in my garden specifically for use as a dye plant. However, I've been having problems with dry, itchy skin and I finally said enough! So I'm making calendula oil instead.

Calendula is wonderful for skin irritation of all sorts. I will let is soak in olive oil for a couple of weeks, then mix it with bee's wax and lavender essential oil for a healing and soothing skin salve. The lavender essential oil not only smells good, but also has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. The finished salve will be good for rashes, dry skin, burns, and cuts. Calendula oil mixed with bee's wax also makes a great lip balm.

I struggled with the decision to use my calendula for medicinal purposes at first, but I decided that there are many plants I can dye with (especially at this time of year) but not so many that are so good for the skin. Anyway, calendula is a prolific plant so I will have other harvests this summer.

I figure that if deciding whether to use a flower for dying yarn or making salve is the problem I'm having today, then life is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment