Sunday, August 31, 2014

Gifts of Late Summer

Life can be difficult. My life is a bit complicated and stressful right now, what with my partner's serious injury, and my regular responsibilities continuing uninterrupted - even though dammit, sometimes I just want to lie in bed and stare at the ceiling. In spite of this, I remain receptive to life's gifts, and life continues to provide spontaneous treasures and joy.

For example, my fig tree produced a lovely crop, most of which we were able to harvest. The critters took their share, but unlike years past they actually left some for us too! Hooray!  I cooked up a batch of fig jam. It is yummy and it makes me feel fancy.



Another unexpected gift came from one of my wonderful friends. I received a just-because-gift of a delicious skein of alpaca yarn. I asked it what it wanted to be, and it said it wanted to be a simple hat. It is so dreamy and soft. I think I will be wearing it a lot this winter. Even in hard times, there is so much to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment