Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year! Plus Cold Remedies!

I've been very neglectful of this blog lately. I won't make a resolution to update more often, because those things are so difficult for me to keep - but I will try to follow through a little more on this in the future.

2014 has been a very rough year for me and many people I know. Solstice is a lovely new beginning, and I treated it as such - but there is something special about the New Year also; a culturally agreed upon time to look back, put away the things that no longer serve us and start again fresh with renewed hope. Many wonderful things happened this past year, but it also was a year of things breaking and falling apart. Fortunately I am as yet unbroken.

The days have already started getting lighter, but the cold of winter will be upon us for quite some time. In case you need it, here are my favorite cold-weather sniffles remedies.

Thyme cough syrup: Take at least 3 tablespoons of thyme (fresh or dry) and add to 2 cups water. Simmer for 10 minutes, then let sit at low heat uncovered for one hour or until liquid is reduced to about a cup. Add about 3 tablespoons of raw honey and stir until disolved.

Cayenne sniffle and cough syrup: Juice of 1 lemon, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon raw honey, dash of cayenne pepper. Mix the ingredients together and stir on low heat until the honey is disolved.

You can store both kinds of cough syrup in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

Take them by the tablespoonfull. The cayenne one packs a punch, and will clear out your sinuses real good if you add enough cayenne. Both kinds contain natural anti-bacterials and immune system support.



Enjoy the cold and dark of winter. I will be doing the same.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment