Saturday, April 26, 2014

Black Bean Dye!

Isn't it just the best when you can make use of something that would usually be thrown away? It's like discovering a treasure under your bed or something.

Today's treasure is the water that turns all bluish dark color when you soak dried black beans overnight. The beans become dinner and the soaking water becomes a dye bath.

I had seen pictures of other people's black bean dyed yarns, and so I was expecting mine to come out as a member of the blue family. However, natural dyes do not always play by my rules. They play by the rules of science, which can sometimes seem indistinguishable from the rules of magic.

Hence, my yarn came out a purplish brownish color. It looks brown in some lights, and rather lavender in others. It's quite pretty, but I will continue to play with heat, mordants and ph, and I'm sure I will get the black beans to do many more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment