Sunday, April 13, 2014

Spring planting!

It’s time for spring planting! The last frost has passed and my seedlings have been allowed to harden and get used to being out of the greenhouse so it’s time to get the little guys in the ground. This year I planted kale, cabbage, chard, collards, snap peas, fennel, onions, and leeks. I’m staying away from summer squash because they require more water and I’m concerned about the possibility of drought this summer.

My kale, chard and collards from last year are still producing but they're old ladies now. I'm letting them flower and produce seeds!

Then there are the strawberries, which have been coming back every year since before we lived here. 

Now I have dirt under my fingernails and a garden full of food plants, and I'm unwinding with a knitting project. No need to buy industrially produced vegetables this summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment